"The UK Scotland voted to stay in doesn't exist any more"

Bella Caledonia interviews Angus Robertson

Donate Subscribe

Related Articles

19 Comments

• Alf Baird 4 months ago

Good questions Mike.

Assimilation of the 56 has been achieved:

"we came down to work in London"; "I speak with English 'colleagues' here quite a lot"

Interspersed with the rather more bombastic:

"We should think like a state; we should act like a state"

Then why didn't your 56 "roaring lions" declare a state last May? Indy disna soond like something you would die in a ditch for, Angus. Nice suit and office by the way, ye leuk the pairt.

• Surrey Scot 4 months ago

To be fair Scotland voted to remain part of the UK. The GE wasn't another referendum therefore the SNP don't have a mandate to declare a state. They are putting up a fight at Westminster and really acting as an opposition to the Tories, unlike Labour. We need to act together if we want our own state. References to offices and suits are irrelevant. I'm sure the ones in Holyrood are just as good.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)
    • Moray Man 4 months ago

That tells us more about Alf Baird, than it does about Angus Robertson.

• Alf Baird 4 months ago

Aye, yer richt thair Moray Man - tae stairt wi thairs nae wey a' wid be takkin thoosans o poonds fi Westmeenster tae hunker in thon mankit unionist pairlament.

As Craig Murray rightly said: “We have not come to settle up, but to settle in!”

• Brian Fleming 4 months ago

I agree with you Alf. I'm put in mind of the old Socialist Party of Great Britain, or Small Party of Good Boys as they were known. Under the new leadership, the SNP seem to be desperate to be 'acceptable in polite society'. I really hope they know what they're doing and the long-term strategy pays off. But it does seem to be taking gradualism to new heights (or lows).

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)
  • Jean 4 months ago

Excellent interview. Jean

• Bella Caledonia Editor 4 months ago

Thanks Jean

• Josef O Luain 4 months ago

Angus is the consummate politician; I listened to him and learned nothing.

• Punklin 4 months ago

Sorry but Alf's and josef's comments seem to ignore the reality of the political situation. We can't wish our way to a better independent Scotland; we have to work for it. It will need a lot of effort, intellect, discipline and patience. Facile judgements don't further our cause one iota.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)
  • Chris 4 months ago

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but those who allege the SNP have been infiltrated by the UK government can't be far off the mark, given the "threat" independence poses to British national security. The likes of Robertson would certainly fit the bill, given how comfortable he is within the establishment. Put it this way, there are several characters in the SNP who are in no hurry to see an end to the status quo and are only too happy to hide behind the "gradualist" pretence.

Likes(1)Dislikes(0)
    • Charlie 4 months ago

I was at a meeting with Angus last night & he smelled ok, but then my Dad was English so I'm probably one of them too. But if you were setting up a Conspiracy would you not choose a Mhairi Black as your infiltrator rather than the pretty-obvious suit-wearing type? - or have I just watched too many old-fashioned whodunnits?

• Chris Downie 4 months ago

Fair point. Black is a brilliant orator, with a maturity that belies her years. She's also one of the Red-til-ah-die-byraway types who would at least consider going back to Labour if (unlikely at this stage I know, but if the rumours of Tory implosion are true, who knows what will happen!) there is a hint of a Corbyn-type taking the keys to No.10 in 2020.

• Brian Howlett 4 months ago

Though 54SMP are in the Parliament can't see them getting very far with their objectives,

• arthur thomson 4 months ago

When I think back to the achievements of the red and blue tories who have represented Scotland in the past I think: 'what a useless bunch of self-serving wasters.' All those wasted years.

With that in mind, I will give the SNP contingent a bit more time before I assess their success or otherwise.

As to moles in their midst, who knows? There are numerous 'proud Scots butts' who are happily claiming to support Scottish independence whilst working to subvert it. That's no more than I would expect of blood and soil Britnats and apologists for the killing fields and the Gulags.

Scotland is a country mile ahead of where it was just a few years ago and despite being up against the full immoral weight of the British state and those who hide behind it, I am satisfied that it is going to continue to get better as the influence of the SNP is extended.

Any news of Chilcot?

• Chris 4 months ago

Did you say moles? Blair Jenkins fits the bill and given his mis-management of the YES Scotland campaign, nothing would surprise me. Some online commenters have questioned Jim Sillars motives, especially now that he favours Brexit, though it's a bit of a stretch to say he's an infiltrator.

• Frank 4 months ago

'Online commentators'...

Interesting description...online commentary covers a broad spectrum of opinion from sites like this which provide high quality political analysis, to crack pots of every conceivable kind who doubt everything and believe in anything, including, the Scottish referendum was rigged, 9/11 was an inside job and that Elizabeth and Philip Windsor killed Diana Spencer. I'm presuming the claim that Jim Sillars was an infiltrator is at this crackpot end of the spectrum?

• Brian Fleming 4 months ago

Hey, Frank, why are giving us crackpots such a hard time? For one, I don't believe the Windsors killed Diana Spencer. That's nonsense. It was MI5 or 6. :) As for the other examples you give, have you reviewed the evidence or simply dismissed the ideas as crackpot?

• maxi 4 months ago

Brian, don't respond to Frank the schill.Its quizzlings like him who are a danger to Scotland and you know what should happen to Quizzlings?.

• Brian Fleming 4 months ago

An oversight. I see Jim Sillars as one of the good guys. I don't necessarily agree with him on everything, but so what.