We’ve been trying to resolve a problem that a handful of people have been having with the Comments system.

We’ve run extensive tests and we can’t locate a problem with the website.

We think what happened is that somehow the name of the person you were replying to was placed in the box where you should have put your own name. This kind of thing happens a lot in open comment systems especially in the heat of debate. The users web browser (not the Bella website) remembered their choice and now auto-fills the text field with
the incorrect name.

We have tried to fix this by adding a small piece of javascript which will nullify the browser’s auto-fill, making the user’s browser forget the bad data.

Can you let me know if you have continuing problems?


Comments (9)

Join the Discussion

Your email address will not be published.

  1. Erik says:

    I tried a couple of times recently & had problems. Testing now…

      1. Wul says:

        Thing is, is wasn’t just the user name of the person you were replying to, it was their email address as well, which couldn’t possibly be autofilled by my browser since it never “knew” their email address in the first place.

        Since some of the debate on here can get a bit heated and it’s not a nice thought that complete strangers could get a hold of your email address.

        Hopefully its fixed now. This reply seemed to work as it should.

      2. Wul says:


        for me there’s still a problem where my comment does not appear immediately after submitting. There’s a lag of at least several minutes, maybe a lot longer, before it appears in the thread.

        It puts me off posting because any sense of a “conversation” is lost. Plus its a bit disheartening to make a comment and then have it disappear, albeit temporarily.

        I’m using Safari 10.1.2

        1. I’m sorry Wullie but there are factors outside Bella’s control that means we can’t offer a service to give you instant ‘Chat’ style speed.

  2. Erik says:

    Yeah posted the comment, didn’t appear – took the dog for a walk and when I got back it had appeared. Strange!

  3. David McCann says:

    Testing testing. Seems OK to me.

  4. ben madigan says:

    never had any probs!

    1. That’s good – it seems to be a very intermittent problem affecting a small amount of users.

Help keep our journalism independent

We don’t take any advertising, we don’t hide behind a pay wall and we don’t keep harassing you for crowd-funding. We’re entirely dependent on our readers to support us.

Subscribe to regular bella in your inbox

Don’t miss a single article. Enter your email address on our subscribe page by clicking the button below. It is completely free and you can easily unsubscribe at any time.