Five Reasons to Support Bella
1. We want to expand not stand still and plan to develop our audio and video content. See interview here. Nobody is really doing quality films, shorts and memes in Scotland like Now This, Joe or Vice. But to produce this content we need to pay contributors. We aim to set aside £15,000 of the £35,000 we hope to raise to do this.
2. We already publish a whole lot of international content. Here’s Steve Rushton writing from Barcelona (‘El carrer serà sempre nostre (The streets are always ours‘), here’s David Jamieson writing on the rise of the far-right in Germany (‘Not the German UKIP‘). Scotland doesn’t stand alone and focusing on Scottish politics as if it’s not connected to the world doesn’t make any sense. But again, sourcing or commissioning quality content like this costs time and money.
3. We publish in Scots and Gaelic – but this costs money for translation and editing. If you value this publishing that celebrates Scottish culture we need your support. We celebrate cScottish culture in all its forms – contemporary and traditional – and believe that if we don’t overcome the cultural cringe then political change will never come.
4. We have stretch goals – that means there’s stuff we’d like to do but can’t. We don’t really have a marketing budget, or a training budget and we need a legal defence fund. With your help we can make these things happen.
5. Breaking stories. Although we focus mainly on commentary and analysis – we do also do investigative reporting. Here we broke the story about the ‘Audience producer’ at BBC Question Time. Here we uncovered the networks behind the Be Reasonable campaign to retain ‘Justified Assault’ in Scottish Law.
But investigative reporting takes time and costs money. With your backing we can do more of this.